Monday, May 2

Aunties go campaigning

Last Saturday I described my encounter with ‘Respect’ party campaigners, who had set up stall on the Stratford Road. The campaigners, seeking votes for candidate Salma Yaqoob, were young and articulate. This week I observed an altogether different phenomena. Pakistani women, middle aged and above and chador-clad, were out canvassing. I have never witnessed this before- it is heartening to see such people involved in the democratic process.

The lady who knocked our door said she was the candidate’s mother and ‘please, please, could you vote Salma’. I made a perfunctory nod of my head to indicate approval, at the same time uttering ‘yes, yes’ (in Punjabi). I have no intention of voting for ‘Respect’ and had challenged the young campaigners last week. However, challenging auntie was out of the question. It is easy to accuse politicians of lying, but I wonder how many voters, out of politeness, make false promises?

During this extended bank holiday weekend- the last before the election- the aunties were the only evidence of canvassing. The ‘Respect’ party are the reason why the campaign here in Sparkbrook is lacklustre. If they were not standing, the result would be unpredictable and on a knife-edge. As it is, the divisive influence of ‘Respect’ guarantees a Labour victory. Why should Labour bother to campaign here when ‘Respect’ is doing that for them?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting. would be better if they were involved through mainstream parties though.