Wednesday, June 1

Pleasant memories

Whenever I feel down in my constricted urban existence, I recall one of my visits to my ancestral village, Chattroh, in the Pakistani part of Kashmir. There are two particular benevolences of nature that I like to recall.

The first memory is of beholding the snow capped mountains, many miles away, silhouetted against the blue sky. It is an awe inspiring sight. I am not sure which mountains they are or on which side of the India-Pakistan border they are situated. This lack of information about them adds to the mystique.

The second memory is of the River Jhelum. Early in the summer, the snow on the hills melts and flows into the river. There is then a pleasant contrast between the heat outside and the cold water. It’s quite a wild river and swimming is not recommended for novices, but paddling and just standing in is enough to send a frisson of excitement through the body. On the surface the water is warm, but if you stand in the river, you can feel an undercurrent of icy water.

I could sit for hours on the banks, listening to the sounds of nature. In high summer, walking barefoot on the warm pebbles on the river bank is actually quite therapeutic. The heat enters through the soles and permeates the whole body. It’s a most relaxing experience. Occasionally the calm is broken by small waves caused by passing boats and the folk songs of oarsmen. Or vultures gathered around carrion on the hill.

Alas, having taken on a massive mortgage, and faced with job uncertainty, I am not sure if I will ever behold these wonders again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO
I'M FROM CHATTROH TOO, AND HAVE SIMILAR MEMORIES WHATS UR FULL NAME AND SOME OF UR RELATIVES NAMES SO I CAN LINK U TO SOME ONE WE OULD BE RELATED AS EVRY1 IN CHATTROH IS RELATED IN SOME FORM OR OTHER

Shakeel said...

My name is Shakeel Ahmed. What is your name? Do you have an email address?

Anonymous said...

I went to school in Chattroh and even studied up until the 4th grade (or Chothi). I am from a village near there and as you have mentioned it is a wonderful place, my last visit was in 1996/1997 some 10 years ago. The signifcant change that i noted was the so called road linking all the places together and the inevitable arrival of cars, trucks and lorries. This in my opinion somewhat spoilt the calmness of the place. Chattroh itself was a mere ghost town as everyone prefferred to travel to Dadyal for all their needs. I did meet someone whom i knew in fact it was one of my teachers Master Majeed who now owned a shop opposite the school. w bhatti (bhattiwb@yahoo.co.uk)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shakeel,

Nice memories. keep it up.