Tuesday, October 12

Friends reunited…lessons in life

In the days before the web, I used to wonder how school friends and classmates, especially those who had moved out of the area, were doing. Now, thanks to technology, I can find out. As expected, life has been kind to some, tough for others and downright cruel for one or two. Most of my former classmates and school are reaping what was sown back in those days. Life is like a field; we reap what we sow. Sometimes tumultuous events, beyond our control, throw our best efforts and plans off course. That is fate.

Some of my classmates have gone on to do great things and excel in their fields. These were the hard workers, those who did their homework and did well in exams. Most were quite, attracted little attention and kept away from playground politics and rivalries.

Then there are those who didn’t do well. Some were on course for good things but life events blew their plans. There are some I know very little about, but see regularly and just wonder “What went wrong?”

A very small number, who regularly missed lessons and even in those days were not unknown to the police, graduated to serious crime, served time for it and now do unskilled work or no work. Some, boisterous, strong and energetic then, have been worn out by drug misuse or an unsettled life. They certainly don’t use the Internet to share experiences on friendsreunited, but I still see them occasionally.

As for those who do not use the Internet and I do not see, I can only wonder. But I wish them well.

People ask me how I have done. Not as good as the best and certainly not as bad as the worst. I graduated with a good 2:1 and have not been out of work since. I have faced redundancy once and the future is very unsettled in my present job, but I am not ungrateful. I have a 3 year old, who starts nursery this month. His field of life is before him; I hope I can help and guide him in ensuring he reaps the harvest of success.

No comments: