Monday, October 4

Us Mirpuris…here and there

A very self-critical fellow Mirpuri recently wondered whether we are the demi-monde of multi-ethnic Britain. I think that is harsh, but his reasons weren’t all amiss. Compared to others, our children do badly at school, our streets are dirty, there is more unemployment and idleness, and more of our youngsters slide into a life of crime. These are all complaints I have heard from fellow Mirpuris lamenting the state of their community. To be fair, though, these issues and concerns are not unique to Mirpuris but common to all Pakistanis and a number of other communities.

Why do Mirpuris, however, have this reputation of generally being backward? I think it is because of the sheer numbers of our community. We are the largest, and therefore the most visible, Pakistani community in the UK. We also tend to live together, for example in the Alum Rock and Small Heath districts of Birmingham. The first of these is often called Dadyal, the district in Mirpur from which many of its residents originate. We are essentially village people, with a village mentality, thrown, in a relatively short of period, into an urban environment. To cope, we have developed an urban sub-culture that draws heavily on the culture we have left behind.

In Pakistan, our position is quite enviable in the eyes of ordinary people. Many labourers prefer to find casual work in the Mirpur district, where day rates are higher, thanks to the strong pound. This tends to irk the locals, especially those with no links to the UK, because it raises the price they have to pay for services.

I am not sure how the ruling elite see us. We are economically too important to be ignored. To some extent we are treated quite contemptuously by the elite, considered as people who have come into money without shredding the village mentality. Ultimately, however, the elite must be glad that this pliant community is filling the coffers of Pakistani banks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I may just say I think it is a point but a rather pessimestic view. If allowed to make the point, I would argue that I do not agree with the title " Mrpuri", I cannot identify with it and neither is it any part of my history, we in our family call ourselves "Pahari people of Azad Kashmir".

Secondly on the point of education, 4/5 members of my family have performed decently well academically having graduated at university level, but I must admit I can't give the same figure for my cousins whom are all older than us. Furthermore, locally most of the people I know are doing fine academically, though not all. So may be the balance is changing.

But I will not deny we are victimised and bashed by various groups, but hey, just let us be, let us show them that whilst they can go on about us being backward, we can progress at all levels. Why should we accept such treatment, we know how great our heritage is, although it is a shame so much of it is under water.

Nevertheless some good points addressed.