Thursday, October 7

India’s UN ambitions

The new Indian premier, Manmohan Singh, raised the possibility of a permanent seat on the Security Council with various world leaders. It is something that India has been after for many years. As a Pakistani, my natural and traditional response is to oppose such a move. After all, India has been flouting UN resolutions that call for a plebiscite to be held in Kashmir. Its human rights record in Kashmir is appalling.

Yet if I was to take off my Pakistani/ Kashmiri hats and look at it dispassionately, I can empathise with the Indian position. Over a billion people, or a fifth of humanity, live in India. That alone is a strong reason why, according to Indians, their country should have a permanent seat. If the UK and France can have a permanent seat, then why not India?

I think more generally the way the Security Council is structured is outdated. It is certainly not the way things would be done now.

No comments: